The unique shape of the patent-pending ARCH Acoustic Resolution Clarifier™ and its material construction make it an effective vibration control base for speakers and heavy audio components.
Constrained-Layer Construction with Inert Material
The ARCH is constructed from a lossy material that dissipates vibration across the audio frequency spectrum. The material is seal-coated with shellac to make it resistant to moisture and strengthen its rigidity under heavy speakers and audio components. It provides a stable and sturdy base for the speaker cabinet and the drivers mounted on the cabinet thus resulting in a clearer and more transparent sound.
Unique Curved Shape
The ARCH design is a curved shape with two ends that rest on the floor at an angle, thus minimizing transferred energy from the cabinet to the ground. In addition, the ARCH flexes under the weight of the speaker as the latter vibrates, further reducing the transferred energy.
Other Design Features
We include a small Allen set screw in the metal insert for three reasons. First, if your speaker spikes are very pointy, for more stability, put the set screw in the metal insert before putting the spike in it. Second, the set screw can enable finer adjustment in leveling the speaker. Third, if you decide to stack the ARCH 1 and 2 for heavier speakers, back out the set screw on the ARCH 2 so that it just slightly protrudes over the top of the ARCH 2 and pokes into the underside of the ARCH 1. This would prevent the ARCH 1 from sliding around. If the set screw is not needed, you may remove it to prevent it from scratching other items.
Finishing the ARCH
The ARCH is sealed in an alcohol-based shellac coating ready for use or for refinishing if desired. Different finishes may result in slightly different sonic effects:
- You can purchase our white vinyl labels for the ARCH 1 or ARCH 2. Put the longer label on the top surface and around the two ends to partially cover the bottom of the ARCH 1. The shorter label with the ARCH logo will fit perfectly on the bottom of the ARCH 1 or ARCH 2. The vinyl labels have minimal sound effects on the ARCH and are offered for people who prefer a white finish.
- The ARCH may be painted with water-based or solvent-based paint. The paint will stiffen the ARCH and make the sound brighter and more dynamic depending on how many coats you use.
- The ARCH may be sealed with a polyurethane coat. Again, the polyurethane will stiffen the ARCH, so be careful not to use too many coats, which may cause the sound to be brighter.
- The ARCH may be finished with a thin wood veneer. Any layer of veneer and coating will stiffen the ARCH.
- You may experiment with a rubber coating compound like Flex-Seal or rubber shrink-tubing. However, our experience is that the rubber coating has the opposite effect of paint or polyurethane, making the sound less bright. In some brighter-sounding systems, this may work well.
See the range of ARCH models in our product catalog.